Tuesday, September 08, 2009

why i live where i live


This is what makes caring for the body a Christian work, that through its health and comfort we may be able to work, to acquire, and lay by funds with which to aid those who are in need, that in this way the strong member may serve the weaker, and we may be sons of God, each caring for and working for the other, bearing one another’s burdens and so fulfilling the law of Christ [Galatians 6:2]. This is a truly Christian life. Here faith is truly active through love.

(Martin Luther)


How did Jesus love? "The Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth." (Jn 1:14) Jesus relocated. He became one of us. He didn't commute back and forth to heaven. Similarly, the most effective messenger of the gospel to the poor will also live among the poor that God has called the person to. A key phrase to understand relocation is incarnational ministry.

(www.CCDA.org)


There's a contemporary model or urban ministry that best explains why I live where I live:

"the three R's"

1. Relocation: living among the people... "Living out the gospel means bettering the quality of other people's lives spiritually, physically, socially, and emotionally as one betters one's own. Living out the gospel means sharing in the suffering and pain of others."

"By relocating, a person will understand most clearly the real problems facing the poor; and then he or she may begin to look for real solutions."

2. Reconciliation: people to people & people to God...

3. Redistribution: of resources

Step 1 is my short-term explanation, and steps 2 & 3 are long-term goals. to read more about this, click here.



PERSONAL NOTE:
I cannot help but sing praises to my Lord for giving me the privilege to live among my neighbors. It has already grown my faith in ways I never could have imagined. And the Lord sure knew what He was doing putting me & my roomie Caroline together.... I couldn't ask for a better person to live here with. I am learning to much from her-- about urban ministry, loving neighbors, loving my friends, loving my enemies, praying for those who persecute me, and being free to be myself... to name a few.

1 comment:

nicole said...

This post really makes me miss Belmont!!